This week is the beginning of August, and ever since I decided to do Alcohol-Free August, I’ve been getting pretty excited for it to start. This weekend I had a bit of a last hurrah going to bars with friends, but now that’s probably not going to be quite such a big part of my weekends. I don’t plan to turn down nights out simply based on the fact that I won’t be drinking – it takes a lot more willpower to go and order a seltzer than to skip an event entirely, and I’m looking forward to strengthening my willpower this month! However, while it often seems like going to bars is all anyone does on weekend nights (are my friends alcoholics??), the truth is that I live in New York City – there should be plenty of alcohol-free ways to have fun away from the bar scene.
In preparation for next weekend, I’ve started compiling a list of some of those activities. No excuses for not having something to do!
1. Learn to cook a new cuisine or complicated dish
2. Go to the movies (or, given the dearth of anything good this summer, stay home and watch a movie)
3. Organize a board game party
4. Go to one of the trendy “happy hour” evening workout classes
5. Go bowling
6. Watch the Olympics (particularly excited to host some breakfast viewing parties for the marathon events on August 5 and 12 – let me know if you are in the NYC area and are interested!)
7. Go to a comedy show
8. Host a dinner party
Any other ideas to add?